Criminal Injury Compensation

Regardless of the criminal act that has left you injured, wether it be a random or unprovoked street attack, mugging, knife attack, or burglary related assault, you may be able to make a claim for compensation.

At IMS Law, we are able to submit a claim to the CICA (Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority) on your behalf to ensure that you receive the maximum amount of compensation to which you are entitled. We will submit your claim online, which usually takes the CICA 12 months to process and make a decision, but can take longer with cases that are more complex. We will be able to keep you updated at every stage in the process and answer any questions you might have along the way.

What can you claim Criminal Injury Compensation for?

  • Physical Injuries.
  • Sexual Abuse and Assaults.
  • Psychological Trauma.

You are eligible to make a claim if:

  • You have suffered an injury as a result of a violent crime.
  • The incident happened in England, Wales or Scotland.
  • Your injury was serious enough to qualify for the minimum £1000 tariff amount (injuries such a as perforated ear drum, partial loss of vision, damage to one of more front teeth, a simple fracture to the skull without surgery, scarring with significant disfigurement, a fractured fibula with substantial recovery or a minor sexual assault on an adult or child only qualify for the minimum tariff. This demonstrates the limited nature of the scheme)
  • The incident that caused your injury occurred less than two years ago (some exceptions can be made if the injured party is under the age of 18)

What defines a ‘Criminal Injury’

  • Sexual abuse as a child or adult
  • Serious physical assault
  • Hit and run cases
  • Stabbing incidents causing serious injury or significant scarring
  • Brain injury as a result of assault, abuse or any other violent crime
  • Bereavement as a result of a violent crime

What evidence do I need to provide?

  • Proof that you meet the residency requirements
  • Medical evidence that shows you suffered an injury
  • Evidence to support a claim for loss of earnings or future loss of earnings

The CICA may also collect the following before they request a medical report:

  • Confirmation from the police that the event in which you were injured was reported
  • Confirmation from the police or witnesses that your behaviour did not contribute to the incident in which your injuries were sustained
  • Confirmation from the police that you co-operated with them

How much compensation am I entitled to?

The amount of compensation you are entitled to depends on your personal circumstances:

  • How badly you were injured and the type of injuries you sustained
  • Financial losses you may have suffered. This could be if you were left unable to go to work, any medical expenses you had to pay for, damage to any property, etc.
  • If you are claiming for more than one injury, the CICA will award the larger amount of compensation for your most serious injury and then add 30% of the tariff amount for the second injury.
  • Amounts for assaults range from £1,000 to £500,000 again depending on victims circumstances & severity of the o injuries they sustained.

Can you still get compensation for an assault if nobody has been convicted?

Compensation is paid by the CICA and not the person responsible for committing the crime. It is possible to submit a claim if the identity of the of the offender is unknown or if they have not been caught and convicted.

Criminal Injury Compensation Authority (CICA)

Government organisation that compensates people who have been physically or mentally injured who were blameless victims of violent crimes. Legal assistance may seem unnecessary but with our help and expertise we can maximise the amount of compensation you will be awarded when working alongside the CICA.

If you have been the victim of a crime and have suffered from injuries, we can assist you in making a claim to the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority.

Contact us today on 01744 612 549 and our friendly team will assist you and talk you through the process.

Get in touch with us

Where to find us

89 Corporation Street
St Helens,
WA10 1SX
Call: 01744 612549

Mon to Fri – 9:00 to 17:00

Corporation Street, Saint Helens WA10 1SX, UK

Request Callback